When to see a psychiatrist and what to expect
No Health without Mental Health
If you feel due to some psychological issues or behavioural problems your biological ( sleep, appetite, self-care) social (relationships with different people around you) occupational (performance in school, college, office) functions are disturbed then you may be benefited by psychiatric consultation.
Some patients may also be referred by house physicians and other specialists. A psychiatrist is an expert who assesses, diagnose and treat psychological conditions and mental disorders. As the best psychiatrist in Kolkata, Dr. Sagnik Mukherjee has to evaluate if the presenting symptoms are due to psychological reasons only or consequence of a medical illness or both. In order to do this, he has to:
1) Take a thorough and comprehensive history from the patient as well as the patient’s family members and friends. At times, patients may feel difficult to open up but experienced and reassuring psychiatrist
Dr. Sagnik Mulherjee, guide you through the interview and put you at ease. You can also bring someone you trust.
2) Conduct a through mental state examination by observing the patient’s behavior, thoughts and emotions.
3) Perform a physical examination on the patient to look for possible medical causes if necessary.
4) May refer to psychologist colleagues for Psychometry (psychological testing).
5) Ascertain if any blood investigations, radiological investigations like CT or MRI brain or EEG is necessary to exclude any medical condition or comorbidities.
A psychiatrist can prescribe medication to treat the condition or may also make use of various forms of psychotherapy/talk therapy to help the patients or refer them to his psychologist colleagues. Usually, Consultation lasts for 30 to 45 minutes. Some patients may require up to an hour.